Saturday, January 29, 2011

I’m so excited, bye bye computer problems!

Do to many many computer problems over the last couple of months I have pretty been MIA.  Our computer had several viruses and just before Christmas(of course) it got really bad.  Then our monitor died.   Since we do most of our Christmas shopping online this just would not do.  So $72.90 for the computer guys to get rid of the viruses and $100 dollars for a new monitor later…….we still could not import pictures!!!!

Then a couple of days ago I was cleaning out our  entry closet that we hardly use and …….. I always tell my kids it is so good to clean because you find things that you didn’t even know that you owned.  Well I found the box that our camera came in and in it was a usb cord that you can hook to the computer to down load pictures.  As I said you find things you didn’t even know that you had!  We had never used the cord before we just stuck the SD card into the computer.
This really made my day!!  I was just giddy with excitement.  So now I can POST.    Who wants to read a blog with know pictures?  Not Me!
That brings me to my latest project.  I have wanted something different to put above my large antique cabinet that we have in the living room.  We use this to  hold some of the kids toys.

Here is how it looked before Christmas before I got the garland up.  I hated it!
Well last week I was at the Salvation Army and found this.
Isn’t it just perfect?  Well not exactly yet.
First I Modge Podged white tissue paper over the insects.  I then painted the whole basket in grey acrylic paint.  I had tried to just paint over the insects but that didn’t work.  They had a little relief to them and they were shiny.
This is after the first coat.
I then went over the whole thing with white paint.  No I did not bother to paint the bottom or the inside.  This is a very high cabinet and I am very lazy and impatient.  If I ever decide to lower it I will cross that bridge when  I come to it.
I then used my favorite color and stenciled our wedding anniversary on each of the “plates”.  The “8” is how it looked after I got done.  This was much to bright and new looking for my taste.  So I was going to go over the whole “plate” with watered down brown paint ( I had glaze on had but it was buried in the basement and well you know, lazy and impatient).  This is how it looked on the five when I got done.  That was a little to distressed.  So on the number “2” I just brushed the number and then wiped it off.  Ahhh much better.  Then I lightly added the brown and wiped it off on the rest of the basket.
Here is how it looked before wiping. 
Then here it is all done.
I rubbed kinda hard on the numbers so that they would have a worn look.
Much much better!  Now I don’t know if I like the ribbon!  What do you think?

I'm linking to:

"Sunday Favorites" at Happy to Design


  1. Love the basket with the numbers. Great job. I think with that nice primitive cupboard, I'd leave off the ribbon. But that's just me.

  2. Hi Michelle...

    What a great basket makeover! It turned out beautifully! Sure looks pretty atop your cabinet! Thank you for sharing your sweet basket and tutorial with us for the Sunday Favorites repost party!

    Have a super Sunday...
    Chari @Happy To Design

  3. What a great idea! It's a wonderful find...Love your blog, You have "Such a Beautiful Family"!!!
    Hugs to you,

  4. this is really smart..thanks for sharing..
    (p.s you was asking about headband..i bought it from a local store..)
    Thanks ~

  5. What a great makeover. Don't you love making some different out of a fun thrift find!

  6. I love this! What a drastic facelift for that basket.


Please leave me a comment it really makes me smile!